Table to hold the design
Contact Us

Building Applications

Application Types

Certified or Uncertified application - for residential development you have the choice between submitting a certified, or an uncertified application. 

  • An Uncertified Application is one in which the certification of building standards has not been done prior to the lodging of the Building Permit application. Uncertified applications can only be lodged for Class 1a and 10 residential buildings.  The Shire has a statutory 25 business days to assess the application.
  • A Certified Application is where you engage a registered building surveyor to complete a Certificate of Design Compliance (CDC) before the application for a Building Permit is submitted. The Shire has a statutory 10 business days to assess the application.

Commercial projects - applications for commercial projects need to be certified by a private registered building surveyor.


Septic Tanks -  septic tank applications are a prescribed approval and need to be submitted with building plans for projects in unsewered areas.  If you already have septics installed please include a copy of the approval with your application.

Home Indemnity Insurance (HII) - Residential building work contracts in Western Australia are governed by the Home Building Contracts Act 1991 (the Act). If residential building work is valued over $20,000 HII is to be undertaken, the Act requires that a builder take out home indemnity insurance in the name of the owner before accepting payment or commencing work.

Building Surveyor – the Shire of Irwin currently uses the City of Geraldton’s building surveying team to assess all applications submitted to the Shire of Irwin.  If you would like further information about the City of Geraldton’s building surveying team, please contact them between 8.30am and 5.00pm at the Geraldton Civic Centre on Cathedral Avenue, contact us on (08) 9956 6916 or alternatively email

Dividing Fences - A dividing fence separates the residential land of different owners whether the fence is on the common boundary of adjoining lands or on a line other than the common boundary.  A dividing fence does not include a retaining wall.

The erection and maintenance of dividing fences on the boundary are a matter between neighbours and as such are dealt with by the Dividing Fences Act 1961, which is administered by the Department of Commerce - Building Commission. Please visit the Building Commission web site for more information; 

Dept. MIRS - dividing fences

Smoke AlarmsThe Building Regulations 2012 (the Regulations) require the owner of a dwelling to have compliant smoke alarms installed prior to the transfer of ownership; where a dwelling is rented under a residential tenancy agreement or made available for such rental; and where a dwelling is made available for hire.

Please visit the Department of Commerce website for more information Dept. MIRS - Smoke alarm laws.

  • Major Land Transaction - Business Plan & Intention to Borrow

    March 2020

    Lot 290 Point Leander Drive, Dongara. more >

  • Media Release 6/3/20 - Dongara Medical Centre

    March 2020

    more >

  • Council Meeting Dates 2020

    November 2019

    more >

Shire Office PMB 21, 11-13 Waldeck Street Dongara WA 6525 | t 9927 0000 | f 9927 1453 | e |

Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Accessibility Notice | © Shire Of Irwin

Western Australian Local Government Association
Market Creations - Marketing, Website Design, Graphic Design