Mandatory Contact Tracing


02 December 2020

Does my business / group need to implement contact tracing?

  • If you have DIFFERENT people coming in to gather in an enclosed space for a reasonable amount of time, you WILL need to implement contact tracing, eg. Christmas function, basketball night at the Irwin Rec, local pubs. 
  • If you have DIFFERENT people coming in to your business for a short period of time, you MAY NOT need to implement contact tracing, eg. supermarkets. See below for further detail. 
  • If you have the SAME people coming in to gather on a regular basis, you WILL NOT need to implement contact tracing, eg. office environment.  

Further detail

Contact tracing is mandatory for food and licenced venues (restaurants, cafés, bars, pubs, taverns), gyms, indoor sporting centres, places of worship, funeral parlours, beauty and personal care services including hairdressers, galleries and museums, cinemas, theatres and other entertainment venues, real estate inspections, community facilities, libraries and halls, amusement parks, function centres, accommodation facilities that already have check-in arrangements in place (i.e. hostels, hotels, large camp grounds). 

What information do I have to provide when entering these businesses / locations? 

The details required for the contact register will include the date, arrival time, names and telephone numbers. Any person aged 16 years and over who attends a business, place or premises, listed above, including patrons, staff, volunteers and contractors will be required to register their contact details. Records are not required to be collected for people collecting takeaway or children under 16 years.

What if I don't have a mobile phone to use the SafeWA app to scan when entering these businesses / locations? 

The State Government has released a free app, SafeWA, to help patrons check in and reduce the burden on businesses. The app is a contactless solution but not mandatory. Alternative formats for contact registers are available, including other electronic tools or a paper-based system, depending on what is suitable for the business, venue or individual.

How can I get a QR code and/or paper-based register for my business / community group? 

The SafeWA app allows you to generate a unique QR code that can be printed. If you are a community group or business in the Shire of Irwin and would like assistance with generating and printing your unique QR code or obtaining a paper-based register for mandatory contact tracing, please contact the Shire on 9927 0000 or email

Share this article

back to news