Local Government Ordinary Elections

Every two years the Shire of Irwin holds Ordinary Local Government Elections. If you are passionate about the future direction of the Shire, this election provides an opportunity for you to nominate for Council.

The next Local Government Elections will be conducted in October 2023.

To be eligible to nominate as a candidate you must be registered as an elector in the Shire of Irwin and aged over 18 years.

Further election information is available on the WA Electoral Commission website and the Shire of Irwin website

Please contact Natalie M’Leane, Development & Executive Officer on 9927 0000 or email for further information.

Results of the 2021 Shire of Irwin Local Government Ordinary Election


Candidate Profiles - 2021 Ordinary Elections

The profiles of all the candidates who nominated so far for the 2021 Ordinary Local Government Elections are as follows.

Please check back regularly as we add additional candidates below.

Isabelle Scott

Mark Leonard 

Elyce Tunbridge

Kellie Wilson

Barry Wyse

Who can vote?


You can vote at Council elections if you are registered on the State Roll as a resident, before the rolls close.

Claims for enrolment on the State Roll should be made at any Australian Electoral Commission in Western Australia.

Owners And Occupiers

You are also eligible to be enrolled to vote if you are a non-resident owner or occupier of rateable property, provided that you are on a State or Commonwealth Electoral Roll. However, it is essential that you lodge an enrolment form. You can obtain an enrolment form from any local government office and lodge it with your local Council before closing day.

If you are not on a State or Commonwealth electoral roll, a claim can still be accepted, provided you were on the last owner and occupier's roll for that electorate and have continued to own or occupy rateable property in that electorate continuously since that roll was prepared.

To be eligible to enrol as an occupier, you will need to have a right of continuous occupation under a lease, tenancy agreement or other legal document for at least the next 3 months following the date of the application to enrol.

Joint Owners And Occupiers

If a rateable property is owned or occupied by more than two persons, a majority of the owners/occupiers may nominate two persons from amongst themselves who are either on the State or Commonwealth rolls, to enrol as owner/occupier electors.


A body corporate which owns or occupies rateable property may nominate two persons who are on either the State or Commonwealth electoral rolls, to enrol as owner/occupier electors.

If you need to apply for registration on the Shire's Roll or wish to check that you are enrolled, please contact the Shire's rating department on  9927 0000 or

Where can I vote?

Polling places are advertised in "The West Australian" and local newspapers prior to each election.

Who can I vote for?

Local Government Election Candidates

Eligibility to nominate

Under the Local Government Act 1995, to be eligible to nominate as a candidate for a local government election, the candidate must be an elector of the district (residential or owner/occupier) and over 18 years of age. A person cannot nominate as a candidate if they:

  • are a member of the Legislative Assembly, the Legislative Council, the House of Representatives or the Senate (or has been elected as such a member but has not yet taken office)
  • are a member of the council of another local government
  • are an insolvent under administration
  • are in prison serving a sentence for a crime
  • have been convicted of a serious local government offence within the last 5 years (unless the court waived the disqualification)
  • have been convicted on indictment of an offence for which the indictable penalty was, or included imprisonment for life, or imprisonment for more than five years
  • are subject to a court order disqualifying him or her from being a member of a council because he or she has misapplied local government funds or property


To nominate as a candidate for a local government election, the candidate must make a valid nomination application. This consists of:

  • a completed nomination form
  • a candidate profile (150 words maximum)
  • a deposit of $80
  • a photograph (optional)

All nomination applications must be signed by the candidate in front of a witness.

The nomination application must be presented to the Returning Officer at a pre-arranged appointment before 4.00pm on the day of close of nominations, 37 days before election day.

As the Returning Officer may ask candidates to amend their nomination, it is recommended that candidates ensure that they have allowed sufficient time to finalise any required changes prior to the close of nominations.

Electoral Gift Register

Candidates and electoral gift donors must disclose electoral gifts received, made or promised during the disclosure period, which runs until the day of swearing-in for successful candidates or three days after election day for unsuccessful candidates. 

All candidates are subject to the electoral gift requirements of the Local Government (Elections) Regulations 1997, including candidates who are current Council members. 
Electoral gifts need to be disclosed either - 

  • within 3 days of nomination if the gift is received, made or promised prior to the candidates nomination, or
  • within 3 days of the gift being received, made or promised once the candidate has nominated.  

A gift is an electoral gift for the purposes of the Local Government (Elections) Regulations 1997 where - 

  • the gift relates to the candidate’s candidature, and
  • the value of the gift is $200 or more, or it is one of two or more gifts made by one person during the disclosure period with a total value of $200 or more.

Electoral gift donors are closely associated persons under the Act. Prior to accepting any electoral gifts, candidates should consider how the acceptance may affect their ability to participate in future decision-making processes.

Electoral gifts do not include the provision of volunteer labour, gifts by will, or gifts by a relative (as defined by section 5.74(1) of the Act).

2021 Local Government Ordinary Election - Electoral Gift Register