SHIRE OF IRWIN - A BRILLIANT BLEND
Previous Image Next Image
ANZAC March - c1950 At Port Denison Beach Irwin Road Board Denison House c1940 Irwin Main Street Dongara Railway Station - c1930 Dongara School - c1912 Irwin Road Board Ken Bass waiting for the train - c1934 Irwin Railway Gang Russ Cottage opening after restoration - 1971 Pearse House Port Denison Foreshore Pearse House - c1970 Irwin Road Board Office - c1980 Port Store - c1945 Priory 1925 Road Board Office Opening 1910 Russ Cottage - c1914 School - c1939 School Excursion 1910 School - Moreton Terrace c1906 Community members at the Monastery - c1947 Tokos - c1925 Wheat at the flour mill - c1930 A Brief History
A Brief History of the Shire of Irwin
Nestled on Arunine Bay are the historical twin towns of Port Denison and Dongara, the coastal contact for the Shire of Irwin. In 1839, an expedition led by George Grey left the Swan River Colony by ship, bound for the area north of the Murchison River. His boats and supplies destroyed in a cyclone, his only alternative was a gruelling 700km trek south to the colony. Captain Grey and his party thus became the first Europeans to traverse the Irwin District and note the extent of the lush pastoral country in the Irwin Basin.
The Aboriginal people of this region (the Wattandee) saw the first permanent European settlement of Irwin in 1850. In 1852, a townsite was surveyed and named "Dhungarra" - a name given to the area by local tribal natives to indicate a "meeting place of seals". From this time on, the area gradually became settled. This progress was understandably slow because of the distances involved and the slowness of available means of transport. Unknown dangers played their part in hindering settlement as in the case of the sailing ship "Leander". In 1853, she struck the reef which now bears her name. Commander, Captain Johnson, managed to run in and beach her on the then uninhabited coast. The Captain and crew managed to reach Mr Burges' property on the Upper Irwin. By 1866, the small settlement was beginning to flex its community muscle and a jetty was built at Port Irwin; at the same time, an Inn was built, which is still in use today.
Finally, in 1871, the Irwin Road Board was formed. It stretched to the South Australian border and covered 89,000 square miles. In its early years, meetings were held in the Courthouse which was built around the same time, along with a School and Police Station. This progress continued as surely as the gradual growth of the majestic trees lining the main street.
For more information please contact the Irwin District Historical Society on 9927 1323 or visit them at 5 Waldeck Street, Dongara.