Table to hold the design
Contact Us

Building Requirements

Planning approvals may be required before you apply for a building permit, please see the Planning section for requirements.  Planning ensures that development within the Shire of Irwin complies with our Local Planning Scheme, Residential Design Codes and other relevant legislation and policies.

Do I need a building permit to build on my property?

Building permits are controlled by the Building Act 2011 and the Building Regulations 2012. A building permit ensures the building is structurally safe and complies with the relevant legislation.

A Building Permit is required for most proposed new building works and includes;

  • single dwellings (detached house etc)
  • group and multiple dwellings (guest house, hostel, sole-occupancy units etc)
  • commercial structures
  • outbuildings (carports, garden sheds, patios)
  • transportable buildings
  • alterations/additions
  • other structures (fence, retaining walls, swimming pools etc)

 If you would like to have a look at our Building Fees & Charges 2018/2019 please click here.

Building your own home?

If you are thinking about owner-building your own home or small commercial building, you are required to apply for approval from the Building Services Board under the Building Services (Registration) Act 2011 before you can apply for a building permit from your local government authority for building work valued over $20,000.  Please see the following link for more information;

 Building Commission - Owner-builders

Are you in a Bushfire prone Area?

The Shire of Irwin contains significant areas that have been declared as bushfire prone under the new State Government building requirements.  Please see the following links for more information;

Building Commission - building in bush fire prone areas

DFES - Bush Fire Prone Areas Map

DFES - Bushfire Protection Planning

Unauthorised Building Works

It is an offence under the Building Act 2011 to undertake building work without a Building Permit, unless the building work is exempted under the Building Regulations 2012.

A person may apply for retrospective approval for a building or structure which is considered unauthorised.  To obtain retrospective approval a building surveyor must be engaged to issue a Certificate of Building Compliance (BA18) before you can apply to the Shire for a Building Approval Certificate (BA13).

  • Major Land Transaction - Business Plan & Intention to Borrow

    March 2020

    Lot 290 Point Leander Drive, Dongara. more >

  • Media Release 6/3/20 - Dongara Medical Centre

    March 2020

    more >

  • Council Meeting Dates 2020

    November 2019

    more >

Shire Office PMB 21, 11-13 Waldeck Street Dongara WA 6525 | t 9927 0000 | f 9927 1453 | e |

Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Accessibility Notice | © Shire Of Irwin

Western Australian Local Government Association
Market Creations - Marketing, Website Design, Graphic Design