In the 2006 Census (held on 8 August 2006), there were 3,052 persons usually resident in Irwin Shire; 51.9% were males and 48.1% were females.
Reasons For Growth
The Dongara/Port Denison area is currently experiencing rapid growth due to a number of factors including:
- Relocation and retirement to the coast by inland individuals and service industries due to a lifestyle and increasing business opportunities.
- Relatively inexpensive prices for housing, and the availability of an abundance of building blocks at extremely attractive prices.
- A broad range of community services, recreational facilities and transport infrastructure of high quality and convenience.
- Continue discovery and recovery of natural resources, being oil, gas and mineral sands.
- Just a great place in which to live - wonderful for a holiday - or visit for a stopover.
Shire of Irwin Council Statistics
|Council Statistic Data|
|Distance from Perth (kms)
|Area (sq kms)
|Length of Sealed Roads (kms)
|Length of Unsealed Roads (kms)
|Number of Electors
|Number of Dwellings
|Total Rates Levied
|Total Operating Revenue
Estimated Resident Population by Age Structure, 2006 Australian Bureau of Statistics. In the 2006 Census, 20.6% of the population usually resident in Irwin Shire were children aged between 0-14 years, and 31.0% were persons aged 55 years and over. The median age of persons in Irwin Shire was 42 years.
Shire of Irwin Population Statistics
|Age Group||No. of Persons|
|65 years and over
|Median age of persons