The Shire of Irwin recently adopted a Non-Commercial Camping Policy which has been developed to achive the folowing objectives in regards to caravan and camping within the Shire;
- To ensure caravan and camping visitors to the Shire of Irwin have a range of accommodation options that maximise the benefits to the local community;
- To allow visitors to experience the uniqueness of the Shire without impacting on the residents quality of life or the natural environment;
- To ensure Council encourages ‘competitive neutrality’ and does not aim to compete with commercial operations; and
- To ensure visitor and community safety is upheld and minimum standards are met in accordance with existing Council policies.
The current policy, adopted at an Ordinary Council Meeting on 24 September 2014, provides the following;
- Nature based camping is allowed on Council controlled land outside of Dongara – Port Denison townsites centres at Cliff Head, Knobby Head, Fresh Water Point and Seven Mile Beach. Only travellers with Self Contained Vehicles are permitted at Seven Mile Beach as there are no toilets provided at this site. Camping is allowed for a maximum of 72 hours at all of these locations.
- Dongara Town Oval on Waldeck Street is available for a free overnight rest for travellers with Self Contained Vehicles, a dump waste point is provided and parking for oversized vehicles. Mobile power generators external to the vehicle should only be used up to two hours to top-up internal batteries and not operating after 10pm. Externally strung washing lines are not permitted. If dogs accompany campers the Dog Act 1976 and the Shire of Irwin Dog Local Law applies.
- Free camping is prohibited elsewhere within the Shire of Irwin.
- The Shire of Irwin may open a temporary overflow facility to accommodate the excess influx of visitor’s during peak tourist periods when existing accommodation providers are operating at or near full capacity (such as the Easter long weekend). This facility is provided at the Town Oval on Waldeck Street Dongara. A basic toilet block is opened for this period and an overnight fee is payable to the Ranger by all users.
Self Contained Vehicles must carry a minimum of 20 litres of fresh water, have waste (grey) water holding tank with minimum capacity of five litres per person or 15 litres per person if the vehicle is fitted with a shower, and have a portable toilet cassette, all waste must be retained within the confines of the vehicle and nothing released to ground.
Please view our Camping Pamphlet for further information.
Should you have any enquiries regarding camping within the Shire of Irwin please contact us on 9927 0000, the Ranger on 0427 110 237 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For urgent matters outside of our normal business hours (8:30am to 4:30pm, Monday - Friday, excluding public holidays) please call our office number 9927 0000 and you will be transferred to our after hours call centre who will contact the relevant staff member directly to respond appropriately.
Shire Workplace Closure
Shire Workplace Closure 5 April 2017
Request for Tender - Tennis Court Resurfacing
Retro Festival 8 April 2017